In 1832, Gottlieb Hageman purchased (12 pounds and 10 shillings) the Eastern Half of Lot 1, Concession 3, West of Hurontario Street, in the village Inglewood, and lived with his older brother, Joachim Diedrich Hageman.

                 

Over the next five years, Joachim Diedrich met and married Sophia Haines, daughter of Charles Haines, founder of the nearby milling village of Cheltenham.

In 1843, Joachim Diedrich received the crown patent from the Canada Company Inc. to the Western Half of Lot 1 (Con. 3, WHS) and by 1859 the properties had become known as “J.D. Hageman”.

 

To celebrate the confederation of Canada in 1867, many buildings were commissioned to be built and stone was sought out.

After his father's death in 1868, Joachim "Joseph" Hageman took over the estate.

The forested and hilly Hageman property had very little potential for farming but was discovered to have valuable stone close to the surface near the Niagara Escarpment.

In 1875 (and quite possibly earlier), Joseph opened the first quarry in the area which provided the grey and red sandstone used on many prominent Toronto buildings; Ontario Legislative Building, Casa Loma, Trinity College at University of Toronto, etc.

After the discovery of the sandstone, Inglewood ushered in its first major industry, which the village would become known for.

In 1943, the Hageman property was purchased by William “Bill” Norrie for the amount of $4000.00.

                             

Bill and Hazel Norrie operated and leased many quarries through their company Credit Valley Quarries, which continues to operate four generations later.

In 2017, on the 150th anniversary of our nation, it is with great pleasure to open the culturally and historically significant Hageman/Norrie property known as...